Sunday 10 January 2010

Man, machine, space and time



Some character designs here showing how the star of my new project might look as both a human and a machine hybrid. Had been thinking the spindly old James Jonah Jameson look-a-like was a dead cert but now my story is changing I might make him a little younger.
The storyboard was just an improv based around the idea of dust particles containing their own little micro - universes. This idea might pop up in some shape or form but I'm not sure how yet. Maybe providing a twist at the end?
Anyway, yesterday I had a bit of a breakthrough. I had been panicking that my original idea was getting lost. I'd had some great, thought provoking tutorials but I was scared they were leading me away from the two things that were exciting me about the project: the comical but macabre idea of a man biologically fusing with his vacuum cleaner(!) and the fact I wanted the story to be a dark horror. But by erasing the original story setting of a library (yes, again! The man-machine had actually been inspired by a cleaner who uses a vacuum back pack at work) I was able to bring all the elements back together harmoniously...or so I believe at the moment!
Basically, I'm gonna take my character down the OCD route and have the whole narrative played out in his tiny but immaculate bedsit. He never leaves and is scared out of his wits by germs. He keeps his environment completely dirt free....apart from one vent coming in from the outside. However hard he cleans it, this vent, which is high up and slightly out of reach, keeps spewing forth dirt and muck....
I'll reveal more in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment